Tuesday 21 August 2012

Running in the Algarve, Portugal

I have just returned from two weeks holiday in the Algarve in Portugal.

Some people asked me "You aren't taking your running kit are you? Please tell me you're not?!"
To which I replied "Yes, Yes I am." I really couldn't afford to have a break and not keep racking up the km's for Challenge 1000. Plus the 24.4km hilly hell Nurburgring run is looming....

Early start!

Anyone fancy an orange?  
I used Portugal as an opportunity to mend my pretty broken knee and to do lots of swimming, as well as a few runs to keep my fitness levels up.

I was fortunate enough to be able to decrease my mileage a little over those few weeks, giving my knee a chance to mend. I am very happy to say my knee is now fit and well, many thanks to pool sessions!

Pool Therapy!
I did 4 runs over the two weeks I was in Portugal, totalling 26.19km altogether. The heat was intense even though I was up at 6.30am in the morning to do my runs.

The area we stayed in was pretty hilly too which didn't make things easy. Also what didn't make it easy was the fact that every single domestic dog would give chase as you ran past it. We quickly learnt that we had to turn and chase the dogs back. Funnily enough the stray dogs would just stride past in a 'Bom Dias!Good day!' manner.  

Here are the sat nav maps of the loop runs I did. It was a good experience running in another country, amongst some gorgeous scenery.

On returning from Portugal I have now run 754km. Hopefully by September I will be up to 800km and I will then be in the last stages of Challenge 1000.

For the next few weeks I will be in training for the Nurburgring run so I feel my running shoes will be spending even more time on my feet than they already are!

Please sponsor me for Challenge 1000 and help me raise money for the Child Bereavement Charity and Cancer Research UK.



No comments:

Post a Comment